If you’re searching the web for “glamour photo shoots near me,” chances are you’re thinking about dedicating a day to an established glamour photographer—but what exactly is glamour photography, and what can you expect from a professional glamour photo shoot?
Glamour photography is a fun and empowering experience that can leave you feeling confident and beautiful. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the differences between glamour, fashion, and boudoir photography as well as tips for nailing your upcoming glamour photo shoot.
What Is Glamour Photography?
The word “glamour” can be defined as “enchantment,” “magic,” or “an attractive and exciting quality that makes certain people or things seem appealing.” The role of the photographer in a glamour photo shoot is to accentuate the inherent appeal of their subject—or whatever it is that gives them that certain je ne sais quois.
What’s the Difference Between Glamour, Boudoir, and Fashion Photography?
While glamour photography and boudoir photography have some similarities, they are not exactly the same thing either. Glamour photography is meant to capture the charms of its subject, while boudoir photography has a more overtly sexual overtone. Boudoir often involves explicit sexual clothing or props, like lingerie, and is thought of as a subgenre of glamour photography.
Both forms of photography are meant to capture and enhance the client’s natural beauty—but boudoir adds a steamy, sensual element, while glamour shots tend to stay a little more PG. If you’re looking for sexy photos to capture your own unique playfulness, boudoir is the right genre for you!
So, what is fashion photography? While both glamour and boudoir are all about celebrating the individual, in fashion photography, the primary focus is on the clothes.
Tips for Nailing Your Upcoming Glamour Shots
Whether you’re looking for “glamour photo shoots near me” as a new client or a seasoned glamour shot pro, there are certain tricks of the trade that, when employed, add up to more successful results. Here are some of the top tips for your glamour photo shoot:
- Decide what you want to emphasize. How do you want your final photographs to translate to the viewer? Put another way—how do you want the experience of getting photographed to feel? Do you want to feel strong and assertive, or softer and more vulnerable? Are there any themes you want to capture, or features you want to highlight? Do you want your photos to be black and white or in color—or partial color? These are all questions to ask yourself before the day of the shoot.
- Think about hair and makeup. Glamour shots are all about putting your best foot forward. For some of us, this means doing hair and makeup. In fact, a skilled hair and makeup artist can contribute in an incredibly meaningful way to your shoot by providing you with artistic ideas, “touch ups,” or enhanced styling. This idea ties back into the first—how do you want to feel during your session? Do you want to look like Marie Antoinette? Now is your time to go for it!
- Pick a location. Whether you’re in the artist’s studio or outside in nature, the location for your glamour shots undeniably adds depth and meaning to your photos. When selecting a location, think about places where you feel most beautiful or at home in your own skin—and don’t forget to think about lighting! It’s hard to beat Golden Hour for flattering portraits…more on that here.
- Poses are important. If you carry the idea within you that you are awkward and clumsy in front of the camera, you are not alone. But you may be surprised to find that, with the right photographer coaching you every step of the way, you possess confidence you never knew you ever had. This phenomenon is one of the primary reasons why so many women love professional glamour and boudoir photography, as an experienced photographer will take care to capture you in your most flattering light! A good photographer will tell you where to place your body, from your toes to your eyebrows, so that everything looks its best for the camera.
- Trust the process. Do your research before booking a shoot to make sure you land an artist whose work you really love—even if this means waiting to save up the cash! Ask your photographer in advance if they offer any photo editing or retouching services in addition to the photographs and consider whether or not this option interests you. Remember, a good glamour photographer’s sole focus is on capturing your natural beauty, not hiding what makes you who you are—so you must decide for yourself what you’d like to get out of the photo editing process.
Glamour Photo Shoots Near Me
From the romantic dazzle of Old Hollywood stars to American senior class portraits, a skilled glamour photographer will be looking to document your uniqueness, charm, and beauty above all else. An experienced photographer like Rami will guide you through the process of posing until you are relaxed and inspired enough to strike your own poses. The confidence you catch from a glamour photo shoot makes for a rewarding experience that you will remember for many years to come—with the photos to keep as a memento.