Table of contents
- How to find the best maternity boudoir photographer?
- How to choose the best outfits for my maternity boudoir photoshoot
- How many outfits should I bring to my session?
- When should I book my maternity boudoir session?
- The best way to prepare for my maternity boudoir photoshoot
- How to feel confident during my maternity photoshoot
- Maternity photoshoot ideas and poses
- Boudoir session luxury products
A maternity boudoir photography session is a unique and memorable experience and a great way to celebrate your body during this special time.
For most women, their body changes so much during pregnancy that they don’t feel like the same person anymore. Maternity boudoir photography can help you embrace these changes and see them as beautiful.
Here are some tips on how to prepare for your maternity boudoir photoshoot so that you feel confident and ready to go!
Why should you book a boudoir maternity photography session?
Boudoir maternity photography is an opportunity to celebrate your pregnancy and yourself. It’s a unique way to document the beautiful changes happening in your body, celebrate your growing belly, and mark your transition into motherhood.
You’re about to embark on an exciting new journey, and boudoir maternity photography sessions are a great way to celebrate and reflect on where you are and what’s to come (including this incredible transformation ahead).
These boudoir photos are more than just keepsakes: they’re also a form of self-expression. Whether you decide to keep them for yourself or share them online (or both), it will be fun and empowering to see how amazing your body is during this time in your life.
How to find the best maternity boudoir photographer?
When looking for the best maternity boudoir photographer, the most important thing you should consider is how the photographer makes you feel. You want to work with a photographer who makes you feel comfortable and confident and has experience with maternity photography.
A professional maternity boudoir photographer will have a strong portfolio of past shoots and be able to show you examples of previous clients’ results. They should also be able to communicate clearly with you and explain what the photoshoot will entail without being pushy.
Most photographers will have a website and/or social media presence, so do some research and review their photography style to ensure it’s what you’re looking for before booking.
How to choose the best outfits for my maternity boudoir photoshoot
Your maternity boudoir photoshoot should reflect who you are as a person. So pick comfortable outfits that make you feel confident and empowered. Some clients decide to wear flowy dresses, while others like to go with just their undergarments. If you need help choosing outfits, we can discuss all options on your pre-session call.
How many outfits should I bring to my session?
The number of outfits you bring to your session depends on how many looks you want to create. If your goal is to have a few photos from each outfit, then two or three choices will probably be sufficient.
But if you like the idea of having multiple looks per outfit, we recommend at least three so that you can mix and match pieces to create more variety.
At Black Lace Boudoir, we offer 4 outfit changes during your session.
When should I book my maternity boudoir session?
There are two main considerations when deciding when to book the session: how long you have until your due date and how far in advance you want to schedule it. Generally speaking, it’s best to wait at least six weeks before your estimated due date before having a boudoir shoot.
We tend to book out 2-3 months in advance, so if you’re interested in getting on our books, it’s best to schedule a session sooner rather than later.
The best way to prepare for my maternity boudoir photoshoot
Preparing for your maternity boudoir photo shoot can be a little intimidating. The best way to get ready is by making sure that you feel good on the inside before anything else.
Here are some suggestions:
- Get a massage: Massage helps relieve tension in both body and mind—plus, it feels great!
- Get a mani-pedi: Nothing says, “I’m ready for my photo shoot,” like fresh polish on freshly buffed nails.
- Get a good night’s sleep: Getting a good night’s sleep can do wonders for your mind and body. Aim for at least 8 hours of sleep the night before your photoshoot.
- Eat a good breakfast: These sessions typically last 4-5 hours, so eating a well-balanced breakfast will help you stay energized for the session.
- Practice affirmations: Repeating positive affirmations can help you feel confident leading up to and during your photoshoot.
What to expect from your boudoir maternity session
Your boudoir maternity session will be an empowering and fun experience! It’s all about connecting to yourself and staying present during this amazing time in your life. We have a very streamlined process for boudoir maternity photoshoots to ensure we make the most of your day.
Here’s the process and what you can expect on the day of your photoshoot:
- Before your photoshoot, we will have a pre-session call to discuss details and answer any questions you have. We can discuss themes, outfits, styling, and more.
- On the day of your photoshoot, you will arrive at our luxury studio in Fredericksburg, Virginia, and enjoy being pampered with professional makeup and hairstyling.
- We have 3 different sets at our studio and offer up to 4 outfit changes! Your photoshoot will last 3-4 hours.
- After your photoshoot, you will enjoy the same-day reveal! During your reveal & design consultation, we will help you narrow down your favorite images and add unique customization to your albums and wall art.
You might feel a little awkward at first, but remember that this maternity photoshoot is YOUR moment! Be yourself and have fun with it!
How to feel confident during my maternity photoshoot
Instead of focusing on how your body looks, think about how beautiful you are. You’re having a baby! That’s incredible and magical, and you should feel great about yourself for all the work you’ve done in getting to this point.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions—we want this experience to be as comfortable for you as possible! If you have a question about a pose, outfit, or anything, don’t be afraid to ask!
Things to bring to my maternity boudoir photography session
Here are some things that will help make your photo shoot go more smoothly:
1. Clothing options: We recommend 3-4 different outfits. This way, you have a few options for your photoshoot.
2. Jewelry: Necklaces, earrings, and bracelets are great accessories for any outfit. I also love hats and scarves as they add another dimension to your look.
3. Shoes: Bring comfortable shoes that tie or slip on as well as high heels if you want those included in your images as well.
4. Water and snacks. The session lasts 4-5 ish hours, so bringing some refreshments with you will help you stay hydrated and energized during your session.
5. Change of clothes and robe. Having a change of clothes for after your photoshoot will help you feel comfortable while we get your images ready for the same-day reveal.
Maternity photoshoot ideas and poses
If you’re a first-time mother, you may feel a little nervous about the whole maternity boudoir experience. You might be wondering how exactly to pose or be afraid of the camera.
We’ve put together some ideas to help guide you through the process and relax into your shoot! The following poses are ideal for confidence building and will give you loads of fun and positivity in your photos:
- Standing in front of a mirror or window.
- Sitting on a chair or sofa and leaning back onto your elbows.
- Lying down on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you, feet together, and hands resting on your belly.
I will walk you through poses and demonstrate during your photo shoot, so you’ll know exactly what to do during your session.
Boudoir session luxury products
Maternity Boudoir Photography is a great way to capture the excitement and anticipation of having a baby. Posing in sexy lingerie, moms-to-be can show off their body and get ready for the new addition to their family.
Maternity Boudoir Photography is more than just taking pictures; it includes other luxuries, too. For example, you can order designer albums made with high-quality materials such as leather and metal hinges for durability. You also have access to framed prints and heirloom boxes that have been custom-designed especially for your photo shoot!
You can view all of our specialty maternity boudoir products here!
Ready to book your maternity boudoir photoshoot?
If you’re a soon-to-be mama or already a mother and want a unique way to mark this time in your life, what better way to capture this moment than with a professional maternity boudoir photoshoot?
Remember, the most important thing about these sessions is to have fun! If you want to chat with us about this experience, schedule a FREE consultation!
We’d love to meet you and learn more about your unique session!