You don’t have to be looking for “couples boudoir portraits near me” to be curious about the boudoir experience. At a higher-end boudoir studio, you will encounter a luxury experience all about celebrating yourself, your body, and feeling good! This is why many boudoir fans decide to take their portraits to the next level by booking a shoot with their special someone. Whether you are just starting off in your journey together and are hoping to kindle the flame or you’re approaching a hallmark anniversary, couples boudoir portraits can be a great way to boost intimacy, ignite passions, and create lasting testaments to your relationship in the form of studio-quality photographs.
Boudoir can be intimidating if you’ve never done it before—especially when it comes to inviting a photographer into your most intimate, vulnerable space. If you’re unsure as to whether you want to take the boudoir leap, read on for what to expect at a couples boudoir photoshoot, from poses to atmosphere!
What Is Couples Boudoir?
While solo boudoir photography focuses on celebrating an individual stepping into their power, couples boudoir aims to emphasize and capture the connection between two people. Couples choose to book a boudoir session at a wide variety of points in their relationship, from the beginning stages to bridal shoots to golden anniversaries.
What to Expect During Couples Boudoir Portraits
Whether you choose to have your couples boudoir portraits taken within the climate-controlled atmosphere of the photographer’s studio, in the comfort of your home, outside in nature, or elsewhere, there are a couple of key things you can expect from a professional boudoir photographer. If you book a session with a professional like Rami, here’s what you can expect:
- A safe atmosphere. As previously mentioned, couples boudoir is all about capturing the dynamic between you and your sweetheart. This means that in order to be effective, the photographer must facilitate an atmosphere that encourages their clients to relax, loosen up, focus on each other, and maybe even get a little spicy. Since the whole point of boudoir is to celebrate who you are in the fullest expression of yourself, there is no room for judgment in the studio! This is a prime opportunity to take up space, explore, and play.
- Guidance on poses. From the angle of your head down to your toes, a professional boudoir photographer will help guide you through the photoshoot so you can rest assured they are capturing all of the most flattering angles and bringing out the best of you.
- Clear communication. A good photographer will offer constant feedback during the photoshoot so you know what’s working for you and when to move on to the next pose. The best couples boudoir portraits occur when the photographer and the couple have open communication so they remain on the same page throughout the process. This establishes vital trust with your photographer, allowing you to open up and share sacred space with the camera.
- An experience catered to your needs. Every couple is unique. With boudoir, you have an opportunity to play up what makes your dynamic so special and lean into the matchless relationship you have with your partner. A professional boudoir photographer will make you feel like your love is the most important thing in the room—and isn’t that worth celebrating?
- A perspective shift. Maybe your confidence wanes at times, or you are a little uncomfortable with having your portrait taken at all, let alone in your underwear. Boudoir is an ecstatic celebration of vulnerability and intimacy—once you see what the photographer is able to capture, you will be stunned by your own inherent appeal. This powerful perspective shift can go a long way towards boosting your confidence and even encouraging you to be more playful with your partner.
Tips for Couples Boudoir
Now that you know what to expect from your professional boudoir photographer, we have some fun tips for couples boudoir so you arrive at your session prepared to make the most of the experience! Here are some of the top hot takes on how to succeed at couples boudoir:
- Select a theme/outfit. Will you be entirely in the buff for your portraits? Wearing your favorite ensemble of sexy lingerie? Wrapped in a cashmere blanket with your honey and nothing else? How about oversized shirts and underwear? Whatever makes you feel confident while capturing your dynamic is perfect here—so have fun with this one! Keep in mind many boudoir photographers allow you the opportunity to change outfits throughout the session, so plan accordingly to get the most out of your booking.
- Select your location(s). Maybe you’d like your couples boudoir portraits atop a king-sized bed; maybe, you’d like them standing in a meadow; or maybe, you’d like your couples portraits in a clawfoot tub…whatever speaks to you, talk with your photographer in advance to see if they are open to exploring multiple settings over the course of your shoot.
- Experiment with closeups. While it can be gorgeous to take a zoomed-out, wide-pan view of the studio or natural setting, there is something to be said for getting up close and personal with the camera. Whether you’d like to capture your hands intertwined with your loved one or their fingers digging into your back, partial body closeups provide another layer of intimacy to your portraits.
- Consider props. From a bouquet of flowers to a riding crop, props are a simple way to add a lot of depth and play to your photoshoot. Select props that feel natural to you for best results, and remember, ambiance-builders like candles or rose petals go a long way towards putting you at ease. The atmosphere of your shoot should be one of intimacy, relaxation, and fun. This is a time for you and your partner to let go of all inhibitions and simply enjoy each other’s company. We recommend setting the mood with some soft lighting, candles, and perhaps some music. Whatever you do, make sure you’re both comfortable and that the atmosphere is one of intimacy.
- Alternate who is in focus. Maybe you love your partner’s thighs and want a closeup of this area of their body…and maybe they love your hair and want it to be the sole focus in a shot or two. Alternating who gets the limelight ensures you both end up satisfied in the end and that you’ve gotten the most out of the experience.
Couples Boudoir Portraits Near Me
Have you read enough to pique your interest in couples boudoir? While it can be daunting to enter a boudoir studio for the first time, professionals like Rami are not only experts at poses, camera angles, and lighting, but also at creating a safe environment where you can truly express yourself. Couples boudoir is all about celebrating what you’ve got going on with your sweetheart—so open up and have fun with it!